Are you interested in monitoring precipitation with Community Science Institute?
- Learn about the program’s requirements on CoCoRaHS’ website and in their training slideshow.
- Complete the CoCoRaHS volunteer application.
- Email CSI’s Executive Director, Grascen Shidemantle, with your name and address. She will place an order for your rain gauge using CSI’s grant funds. To contact Grascen, fill out the form below:
Many of our volunteers have noted that rain varies a lot throughout the watershed. We may get a drizzle in Ithaca while folks in Interlaken are getting soaked and our friends in Aurora are enjoying the sunshine. Because the weather is so patchy, it can be difficult for CSI to:
- Identify/predict stormwater conditions on streams without USGS flow gauges,
- Connect HABs reported through our Cayuga Lake HABs monitoring program to localized rain events, and
- Determine where benthic macroinvertebrates may have been flushed out by recent storms.
With more rain gauges around the lake, we will be able to better respond to stormwater events in our Synoptic Stream Monitoring Program and understand the data that we are collecting through our other monitoring programs. Aside from serving CSI, data reported on the CoCoRaHS map is also used by the National Weather Service for their research!
If you are interested in participating in precipitation monitoring with CoCoRaHS through CSI, please return to the top of the page and complete the three steps outlined!